The Digital Geekaship is launching its exciting new unique challenge “Digital Geekaship Campus Battle”! a challenge that combines team work, software engineering and kick ass programming skills. In short, Students and their tertiary institutions in South Africa are invited to take part in a 2-day team-based application development challenge to solve a specific problem and the best team will stand a chance to win a dope prize. The challenge is open to undergraduate and postgraduate students studying in the fields of software, mobile development, web development, front-end development, systems design and engineering.
This challenge will run nationally and virtually, so each team will send us the GPS location of where they will be stationed during the 2 days.
The challenge will take place over two days; 21st January 2017 from 09:00 until 22nd January 2017 at 13:00. Please review the Programme section for specific detail of the activities on those days.
The winners will be announced on 22nd January 2017 at 17:00.
More about the challenge
Activity 1: Build a small application
- For this level’s battle, the team can use any programming language or approach to getting the application developed and running. Show us your strut.
Activity 2: Submit videos recording your progress and human state at defined intervals
- Throughout the day each team will be required to post a 30 seconds video of where they are at, sharing anything that is on their mind. Like your Big Geek Brother! Each team member MUST submit the 30 second emoji check-in.
Team : R5000 in cash secured already.
Institution : The title of “Top Digital Geeks Campus Battle 2016” goes to the winning institution.
More prizes to be announced by sponsors soon!
Teams will be required to present their innovative thinking and the mobile application they have developed to the judges from 13:00 onwards on the 2 October 2016.
- Tania van Wyk de Vries, Chief Executive Officer
- Lebogang Moerane, Chief Digital Officer
- Thabang Phaleng, Technical Delivery Manager
- Sponsor judges to be announced soon!
Judges’ Evaluation Criteria
- All entries will be judged according to a scorecard.
- Design of the application and user experience.
- The problem statement that the challenge is centered around must be solved.
- The application must be functioning.
- Judges and teams will have no contact during the challenge.
- Judges scoring is final once announced.
Team Entry Criteria
- Each member of the team must be between the ages of 18 – 30 and currently registered as a student at a tertiary institution in South Africa. Student numbers will be verified with the institutions they’re representing and students must submit proof of enrollment during online registration.
- The challenge is open to 3 teams per tertiary institution on a first come first served basis.
- A team should consist of no more than 5 people and should include the competencies of a digital designer and developer.
Team Preparing Guidelines
- One member of the team needs to be the assigned contact person to manage all contact between the team and the competition organisers.
- This team member’s phone will be loaded with airtime to participate in the activities over the two days and will need to remain charged and available for the full duration of the challenge.
- An Android phone must be used.
- Download and install Talent Vibs App before the day: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.infowarestudios.videosurvey&hl=en
- Submit team video highlights throughout the day to the Digital Geekaship team via the BrandVox app.
- Install and download Hipchat and create an account with the team email you provided: https://www.hipchat.com/downloads.
- Install Git: https://git-scm.com/download/win .
- Study git commands. You need to know: clone, pull, add, commit and push. https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Basics-Getting-a-Git-Repository
- Have your development environment set-up on your laptops ready to crank out the code.
1 October 2016
|Date & Time||Activities and Goals|
|09:00||Each team will receive their first clue in the Hipchat room to start the cyberspace treasure hunt.|
|Goal 1||Find the 1st level battle activity to complete.|
|11:00||Each team will receive their first clue in the Hipchat room to move on to find level 2’s coding battle.|
|12:00||30 second video responses by each team member, submitted via Talent Vibs App.|
|Goal 2||Find the level 2 activity to complete: Let the coding begin!|
|14:00||30 second video responses are to be uploaded by each team member, via Talent Vibs App.|
|16:00||30 second video responses are to be uploaded by each team member, via Talent Vibs App.|
|18:00||30 second video responses are to be uploaded by each team member, via Talent Vibs App.|
|20:00||30 second video responses are to be uploaded by each team member, via Talent Vibs App.|
|22:00||30 second video responses are to be uploaded by each team member, via Talent Vibs App.|
|00:00||30 second video responses are to be uploaded by each team member, via Talent Vibs App.|
2 October 2016
|Date & Time||Activities and Goals|
|02:00||30 second video responses are to be uploaded by each team member, via BrandVox.|
|09:00||30 second video responses are to be uploaded by each team member, via BrandVox.|
|12:00||All code and problem solving solutions to be committed to Bitbucket.|
|12:30||30 second video responses are to be uploaded by each team member, via BrandVox.|
|13:00||Bitbucket repo access expires. If your code is not committed, you will be disqualified.|
|Team presentations will start. Each team will get 10 minutes to demo their solutions and applications to the judges. This will be done via Hipchat.|
|17:00||Judges announce winners|